The Congregation of Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity was founded November 9, 1869, in Manitowoc, Wis.
Early in 1865, Rev. Joseph Fessler, a newly ordained priest from Saint Nazianz, Wis., was assigned to Immaculate Conception Parish, Clarks Mills. One of his first concerns was the children of the parish.
He asked 23-year-old Teresa Gramlich who lived in Saint Nazianz, to teach catechism for him. She agreed. On June 5,1866, she left her home to begin her new work.
To read the full story, please log-in or subscribe to the digital edition: